Thursday, January 17, 2008

Simply Heaven!

I don’t know about you, but I have bad days. For those of you that never have bad days, just stop reading now as this will not apply to you.

Maybe your bad days are like mine. Usually my bad days are the result of expectations not met. Sometimes I put my faith and trust in a friend or loved one and I am let down. I think something is going to happen or wish something to manifest, and I’m left abandoned, disappointed, or frustrated. Some days my expectation is for something to go right as everything so far just has gone horribly wrong. The end result – a bad day.

Perhaps my problem is that my expectations are based on someone or something fallible. Friends and relatives, regardless of sincerity, will let us down at one point or another. Objects, whether it be cars or computers or coffee cup lids, break and fail from time to time. All of these things, to some extent, leave us stranded, forsaken, hurt, or upset.

Something that has helped me through recent bad days is the hope that the bad days are not eternal. The thing that is eternal for us, heaven, is a place far from fallible. Paul, an apostle in the Bible, writes how the eye hasn’t seen nor has the ear heard nor has the heart truly imagined the things which God has prepared for those who love Him (I Corinthians 2:9). I always think of this statement when I think of heaven – a place greater than my wildest imagination (and trust me my imagination is pretty wild!).

Isaiah said Paul’s statement first. Isaiah, in times of turmoil and trouble, wished that God would just show up. Isaiah wondered how long he would have to wait. He wished for a day all of these bad things would just go away and only God and His glory remain.

I started a habit of when I find myself in moments of bitterness from a bad day, I start thinking about heaven. I think to myself, “Whatever great and awesome thing my mind can conjure, heaven is much better than that!” I imagine being with my creator. I think of a place where once I’m there everything inside me says, “This is truly where I belong.” I think of a place where I’m accepted. I’m never sick. I’m never heartbroken. A place where love abounds like sunlight itself.

Whenever I think about heaven and the eternity I’ll have there, the bad days and the disappointments tend to fade. The let downs appear miniscule. The tears – temporary. I can’t help but crack a little smile. I find myself excited about that world without an end.

Wherever you find yourself, may I encourage you to think about the promise of a glorious place that makes the reality of this world lacking. May we endure the bad days in hope of an eternity that will simply be…heaven.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home