Saturday, June 25, 2005

I Have a Dream...

Actually I just had a dream. It wasn't one of those happy dreams either. Actually, I think it classifies it more as a nightmare of sorts. So here I am writing to my faithful readers (or what few still check this thing as I haven't posted in almost a month) before 6 in the morning.

Summer terms here at Southwestern are more hectic than the summer terms at UNF. Back in undergrad, I could take two to three classes and get by with ease - no worries or stress. Here one class can be the death of anyone who doesn't stay on top of things. I'm entering my final week of the summer classes and I have a 10-page paper and one final exam. The exam will be easy money (I haven't made less than an A+ on any of them), but the 10-page paper may be another story.

The reason I haven't posted in so long is really because there is not much to report. Summer time here in Ft. Worth is like a purgatory of sorts - it's not hell but it's not heaven either. It's just been kind of "eh" since I've been back, and my brain has been so racked with Christian History and St. Augustine (the person, not the city) that I haven't really come up with much to rant on...until now.

The title of today's post is also the title of a famous speech by Martin Luther King Jr. If you currently own brain waves and pulse I'm pretty sure you know who that is; however, that is not all MLK is known for. Dr. King wrote a letter from a Birmingham jail which is entitled "Letter from Birmingham Jail." Original title - yeah I know, but the importance is what he writes. In this letter, King writes about injustice and what actions must be taken. He challenges Americans, especially Christians, to consider where they stand because sometimes the most dangerous place to stand is in the middle. In the letter, one can see the glimpses of Dr. Kings heart. His words leap off the page as he expresses seriousness, humor, and grief.

I am a Southern white boy. My mother's family hails from a small town just outside of Birmingham, Alabama. I know based on heritage I may not have much room to talk about Martin Luther King and civil rights, but regardless of who you are or where you're from take the time and read his letter. A simple Google-search will pull it up in no time.

Father Grey, a priest and former instructor of mine, encouraged me to read it upon discovering I was entering the ministry. I never regretted taking that time. As for me, I think my dreaming has come to a close until tomorrow night. I have a busy few days ahead of me. Take care, be good, and have a few dreams of your own. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home